Have you ever started something you were so passionate about and then two days, weeks, months later you completely gave up? Went back to square one as they say? Have you ever had to start over because the route you were on just didn’t feel right, didn’t give you the results you expected or simply you just changed your mind? Have you ever wondered what to do to avoid starting over?
It has been a while since I wrote for my beloved readers. A lot of things happened. My journey took several detours and shortcuts. Let’s just say life happened. And this is me, starting over.
So allow me to share with you a few tips on how to avoid going back to square one as much as possible. I am aware that starting over is sometimes necessary in life. It gives you new vision and perspective but most often than not it can be avoided by simply doing these 7 things:
- Learn to make SMART Goals. Whether it’s losing 25 lbs, starting a band, becoming an actor, writing or finishing a book, saving your relationship, creating a piece of art, or any other goals, you cannot afford to be vague and passive. Use SMART goals! Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic/Relevant, and Time bound. An example for those wanting to finish a book would be: Read 10 pages a night, five times a week before going to bed. It is Specific because it’s about finishing a book. Measurable by being 10 pages a night. Being Attainable really depends on you but 10 pages is not that hard to do.It is Relevant to your goal of finishing the book. It is Time bound by being five times a week and until the book is finished.
- Practice makes perfect IF you know what you’re doing. No one ever became successful by winging it. Practice and knowledge go hand in hand. Get educated! Practice is the tool to get you to the top but there is a certain confidence that only comes with the power of knowledge. For example if you want to become the best writer in a certain field, besides practicing your writing skills, get educated enough to become an expert in that field.
- Time is your frenemy. Time is golden, yes! And the clock doesn’t tick twice and it’s always moving against you. But with time, also comes more wisdom and more opportunities. However, if you have to start over, all the time invested is gone. So make sure that time has been invested in something that will take you further in life.
- Faith in the unknown is more than just a religious statement. No matter what you believe in – and don’t tell me you don’t- faith is always a part of your life IF not the reason for your journey. Believing in the unknown is something we all are forced to do. How we believe is up to us. Good news is that no matter what you do, faith is always on your side. There is no right or wrong way of Faith as long as it resonates with what’s truly in your heart. And believe me, hearts are not dark and evil if you know how to listen.
- Accept that you are never in control BUT always remember that your intentions are your clues. From your heart beat to the sun and moon rising, you can’t control anything in this life, let alone achieving a goal.But if you have pure intentions and learn to listen to the still small voice inside of you, you will catch all the signs and clues you need to follow the right path.
- Leave your emotions for movie nights and yoga classes. Emotions are not always your friends. If you don’t learn to control your emotions and stay centered no matter what comes your way, then more often than not you will end up making decisions that put you straight back to square one. Without any mercy! So take a yoga class, go to the movies, read a book, hit the gym, and do whatever you need to do to stay centered at all times. Peace is power!
- Never give up! Last but not least, don’t give up just because it’s taking too long. You may be closer than you think. And if it seems that you’re not getting anywhere, maybe you just need to make a few small adjustments. Don’t give up on all the time, efforts, and heart you put into achieving something. Nothing is random, always remember that!
Thanks for stopping by!
Sweet Escape Project