Almost all of us have experienced or have an 8-5 kind of job. We all know what it takes to be on time, to fight through traffic, to sit behind a desk, to stare at the computer screens or the clock and so forth. Just by writing that my blood pressure went up!
If you are one of the lucky ones and work at your dream job, you may have an easier time dealing with all the stress that is expected from a normal 40 hour work week. However I am certain that at times, you still hate Mondays and look forward to Fridays. If you are one of the brave ones, battling through a job that is just meeting your needs, you may need to rethink your options and improve your skills to match your passions. Then read this post because it will help both of you lucky and the brave ones to have more productive days at work and maybe even enjoy life a bit more.
Below are the 15 Hacks To A More Productive Work Day:
- Prepare your outfit from the night before. Nothing makes life more stressful than looking for matching socks, or discovering all your clothes to be wrinkled in the morning. Turn that TV off at night and get to your closet. After all, well dressed employees are always more favored and looked up to.
- Drink plenty of water before going to bed. Drink a few glasses of water or a cup of sleepy time tea prior to bed time. This will not only keep your body hydrated throughout the night, but it will also help you wake up better in the morning to flush out the toxins.
- Set up your alarm across the room and not in reaching distance. Put your favorite song as your alarm tone while you’re at it. This will make you get up and out of your comfortable bed.
- Wake up an hour early to enjoy life. This is by far the most important and rewarding step you can make to improve your mood and feel joyful throughout the day. Try and do your favorite activity or hobby for 30 minutes or so. Keep your heart happy, and it will return the favor.
- Make your breakfast instead of eating drive thru fast food options. Make some eggs and bacon, explore some smoothie ideas, make a mess in the kitchen and then sit down to eat and appreciate it all.
- Take snacks and lunch to work. Take some nuts and fruits. Make your lunch from the day before, the morning of (step 5), or meal prep on Sundays. This way you won’t be tempted to stop by a vending machine or cafe and dump some sugary chemicals in your body. Your body will appreciate you by improving your mood throughout the day.
- Opt out of drinking coffee first thing in the morning. This one is the hardest for me but researcher have discovered for the 1000th time in a row that the caffeine in coffee kills productivity at work. Specially if you use sugar and creamers, this will put your blood sugar level in a roller coaster of spike and crash throughout the day. So in order to avoid it, don’t drink coffee first thing in the morning. Opt out for a cup of low caffeine hot tea instead.
- Avoid checking social media. Nothing kills your productivity and creativity more than scrolling through a list of duck face selfies, unnecessary prank videos, and relationship updates. Before you know it, you have posted a better duck face selfie or pledged to adopt 3 dogs in 2 different cities. Log out of everything so you won’t get notifications to tempt you. Or be brave and remove/restrict all social media apps/sites from your phone and computer. Except maybe snapchat. We still need to know you’re alive!
- Listen to motivational channels or songs on the way to work. Did you know that on average any American could learn an entire different language if they use their commute time to do so?? If that’s not enough motivation, maybe a Beyonce song would do. Get pumped up! (Don’t listen to Drake on the way to work!)
- Take a 5 minute break after every hour. Get your eyes off the monitors and rest them for a few minutes. Take long deep breaths. Get up and walk around. Do some squats. Drink some water. RECHARGE!
- Make a work related to-do-list everyday. This will not only help you organize your time and tasks better, but it will also take so much stress off the table. The more chaos in your mind, the more stressed you will be. And stress is the enemy of productivity.
- Snack on nuts and fruits and drink at least 3 bottles of water at work. Let me remind you that being at work doesn’t mean you can forget about your body. It will still need fuel to function. This means if your fuel is running out, so will your productivity power.
- Avoid commuting on your lunch break. It doesn’t matter how close you are to your favorite restaurant or the place you live, fighting through traffic and driving around will stress your body. This is where bringing your lunch would have helped.
- Avoid making plans with friends and family while at work. I am guilty of this one but been working on it!! I know a lot of people that start making plans for happy hour after work right around 8:23 am. Congratulations! You were productive for 23 minutes today. Wait until you are done with the work day and then start planning the fun. Priorities! (I know! I know!)
- Leave work at work. No matter how many things you checked off your to do list, once you clock out and walk out of those doors, you’re done! It’ll be there tomorrow, I promise. Now go home and enjoy the rest of your day. Listen to drake if you want to. Take selfies. Adopt dogs and cats and birds. It’s all you. Don’t you dare think about work!
I hope this was helpful. Comment below and let me know if you have other good tips!
Sweet Escape Project