Chances are we all have used supplements at some point in our lives. Some of us use them daily, some due to their doctor’s requirement or a family member’s advice. And others just do it because it is a trend or Dr. OZ says so! Ha!
Whether you use nutraceuticals for medical, nutritional or beauty purposes, it is always a smart idea to do a little research about what you are putting in your body. Pharmaceutical industry is one of the fastest growing markets in our time, and potency still remains a concerning issue. With that in mind, I decided to make your life a bit easier by researching top selling supplements and comparing them on this blog. I will also make some recommendations based on my personal use and my clients’ testimonies.
This week the Top 5 Best Seller Hair, Skin and Nails Supplements were my focus. I gathered this information from each company’s website, customer ratings and reviews on major online stores such as amazon, vitamin world, and eBay.
First let me provide you with a little background on how the body keeps our hair, skin and nails healthy. There are 3 proteins that are vital to the way our appearance is maintained – collagen, keratin and elastin. These “3 Beauty Proteins” are produced by the body at an optimal rate until our mid 20’s. Then just as our metabolism, hormones and growth rate (basically our entire livelihood) slow down, the domino effect kicks in and our 3 beauty proteins (among a lot of other things like our sanity) need a little extra help as a result. Now can we maintain our appearance by ingesting such proteins, you may ask? The answer is a heartbreaking No, because most likely the body treats these proteins as food sources and breaks them down to be used for energy. We can thank our survival instincts for this one. However, maintaining an optimal protein ratio in our daily diet is an important component when it comes to repairing and improving our hair, skin and nails.
There are also numerous creams and topical products out there that can be compounded or are OTC which can improve our appearance from the outside. Unfortunately, these topical products are helpful only to the skin and give temporary results.
In order to increase the beauty proteins in the body, we need to activate the cells that are precursors to these structural components. In other words, the key to strong and healthy hair, skin and nails is to build them from inside out. Since we cannot easily eat our way to healthier bodies, we need the help of supplements that provide us with such essential nutrients. Below are the top 5 sellers in this category followed by my personal favorite:
- #1 BioSil
- Price: ~ $50 for 120 Vegetarian Capsules
- Where to Buy: Whole Foods, The Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin Depot, Amazon.com, VitaminWorld.co, eBay.com
- Side Effects: No known side effects.
- Customer Review: 4.4/5 stars on Amazon.com and 4.5/5 stars on vitaminshoppe.com, Satisfactory!
- My Review: As mentioned in their website, BioSil uses the clinicaly proven unique technique of “ch-OSA or choline-stabilized OrthoSilicic Acid as it is known in the medical journals….that turns on the fibroblasts in skin and osteoblasts in bone that generate collagen.” This supplement sounds promising and the reviews seem to be very consistent and satisfactory. This product contains no allergens and is only composed of 5mg Silicon and 100mg Choline in each capsule (Twice daily). Other ingredients are standard and do not raise any concerns as far as safety and quality. Overall I would recommend BioSil but along side other supplements that provide the key vitamins and minerals for strong hair, skin and nails such as Biotin, Vitamin A, B, C, D, Zinc and Inositol.
- #2 Maxi-Hair Plus by Country Life
- Price: ~$15 for 120 vegetarian capsules
- Where to Buy: Whole Foods Market, Amazon.com, The Vitamin Shoppe and Thrive Market.
- Side Effects: No known side effects based on the reviews. Possible side effects due to Maltodexrin as an ingredient.
- Customer Review: 4.5/5 stars on VitaminShoppe.com, overall satisfactory.
- My Review: Maxi-Hair Plus provides almost all essential vitamins and minerals needed to support healthy hair, skin and nails. The only concern I had while reading the additional ingredients list was finding maltodextrin as a filler. This starch derivative and FDA approved food additive can spike your blood sugar and suppress your “good gut bacteria”. I would suggest to those struggling with diabetes and gut health problems to skip this supplement and find another.
- #3 Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails
- Price: ~$10 for 120 Caplets
- Where to Buy: Walmart, amazon.com
- Side Effects: Several complaints about skin breakouts and acne problems by consumers on Amazon.com. Possible side effects due to maltodexrin and polysorbate 80 as ingredients.
- Customer Review: 4.1/5 stars on Amazon.com.
- My Review: This supplement seems to provide numerous essential vitamins and minerals, however I would NOT recommend this product solely due to use of not only maltodextrin but also polysorbate 80 as fillers. Just to mention few reasons why polysorbate 80 is not proven to be safe, the Material Safety Data sheet states the following regarding this filler: “• Slightly flammable to flammable in presence of heat
• Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation.
• May cause adverse reproductive effects based on animal test data. No human data found.
• May cause cancer based on animal test data. No human data found.
• May affect genetic material (mutagenic)”
- #4 Pure Biotin from Island’s Miracle
- Price: ~ $20 for 120 capsules.
- Where to Buy: Amazon.com
- Side Effects: No known side effects. Possible abnormal hair loss based on consumer reviews.
- Customer Review: 4.8/5 stars on Amazon.com
- My Review: This supplement is a good source of potent Biotin and Calcium. It does not contain any concerning fillers, if you are not allergic to rice fillers. I would recommend this supplement to those who already follow a good diet plan which provides all the other essential nutrients for healthy hair, skin and nails.
- #5 Nature Made Biotin, Maximum Strength
- Price: ~$10 for 50 softgels.
- Where to Buy: Almost all major grocery stores and vitamin shops online and in major cities.
- Side Effects: No known side effect. Few mild skin breakouts and hair loss problems were reported by consumers online.
- Customer Review: 4.1/5 stars on Amazon.com
- My Review: I would recommend this supplement only due to its Biotin potency and no concerning fillers. However, this is not a complete supplement by itself. Other daily vitamins and minerals are needed for Biotin to improve the structure of beauty proteins.
My personal favorite:
- Bluejay’s Hair, Skin and Nails (RF):
- Price: ~$25 for 90 tablets.
- Where to Buy: At BluejayPharmacy.com online or in store.
- Side Effects: No known side effects. Possible allergic reaction due to soy derivatives.
- Customer Review: A few of my customers have mentioned shinier hair and fast growing nails. As a consumer of this product, I saw huge difference in hair thickness and nail growth. Also my skin feels smoother. However, I may give BioSil a try in the future.
- My Review: I would recommend this supplement since I am taking it myself and have only heard good things from my clients who are also taking this product. This supplement provides all essential nutrients needed to maintain strong and healthy structural proteins. It is PCCA compliant (25 check points for quality assurance). However, if you are allergic to soy products, it would be best to find an alternative.
I hope this post has been informative and helpful. If you are taking other Hair, Skin and Nails supplements, comment below and I will be more than happy to do some research for you. Afterall, I am your guide to all things Mind, Body and Nutrition!
Sweet Escape Project
*I do not own any of the pictures used in this post. They were found on Pinterest and Vogue online.